The powers and duties of the Legal Committee are:
- to provide legal expertise to the Bureau and to give recommendations regarding legal matters whenever needed,
- to assist the Bureau, FINA Committees and the commissions in drafting amendments to the Constitution, FINA Rules and regulations,
- to conduct administrative reviews regarding whereabouts violations referred to the Legal Committee,
- to advise, if necessary, on matters referred to CAS by FINA, and
- to advise, if necessary, on agreements between FINA and third parties.